eXTReMe Tracker
Help, I am stuck in a bad 80s movie: Torry 3.0

Monday, October 12, 2009

Torry 3.0

Funny how there are some things that never stay the same and there are some things that never change. Absolutely nothing in my life right now in my day to day routine looks like it did one year ago, or even 3 months ago. But here I am once again, after a long time with no updates, motivated to restart my blog.
I?m 30 now. Just one more thing on the list of new things in my life: new job, new city (well, new again), new apartment, new schedule, new responsibilities, and new decade of life. I?ve always loved change and adventure, which is a good thing given my history. I?m not sure if God gave me the personality for the circumstances, or the circumstances for the personality, but either way, it works.
For those of you who I haven?t blabbed your ears off about my decision to move to Birmingham: The lease was up on my apartment in June. The YoungLife guys that I had for four years graduated. So I decided that it was time to look for a new job, making my finances a higher priority than they had been. Felt very strongly that God was calling me to a new season, leaving YL after being a leader for 10 years. Starting applying for jobs all over at the absolute worst time to be looking for a job. The Hebbelers were so generous and allowed me to live in their bonus room while I waited for some direction as to my next step. Staying there was such a blessing. Finally, after a lot of rejections and dead ends in the job search, the opportunity arose to take over the tutoring business that I had worked for in college in Birmingham. Not sure why God chooses to work this way in my life, but He always waits until the last minute to work everything out. I literally decided to take the job at noon on a Monday, was in my car a couple of hours later, drove to Birmingham, and started work Tuesday morning. I went back a few weeks later, once I had an apartment, to get my furniture.
I absolutely love my new job. I?m the new owner/director of MasterMinds Learning Center. It really combines so much that I love to do. I hit the ground running and have been going nonstop since moving. Sure I miss Knoxville and the amazing community and friends I had there. I really can?t believe that it?s fall and I don?t have YL club to go to every Thursday. As hard as it was to walk away from YL, God affirmed my decision so clearly as the semester drew to a close. The last four years walking alongside those young men through their four years of high school was an amazing experience. It was both one of the hardest and one of the most fun things of my life. The team of believers that I had the privilege of serving with was an indescribable blessing. As I prepared to speak at the last club of the year, Senior club, God reminded me of all I had seen him do throughout my ministry. I had a front row seat to watch him change young men?s lives, including my own.
So that?s the latest step in what has brought me here, to this point, to this day. A friend of mine joked on the week of my birthday, that I was beginning ?Torry 3.0,? but I really do feel that I?m entering a third major season of my life. It?s Torry 2.0 with some (not all) of the bugs worked out. High school Torry was a continuation of childhood, in all of my ridiculousness. College, grad school, and the Knoxville years were all very similar: flexible schedules, YoungLife always a major priority, and my health playing major roles in how my life was structured. And now it?s round three. I?ve been so busy since moving that I haven?t been able to fully process it, I?m filled with excitement to see what?s in store.

2 Comments:

At 5:56 PM , Blogger Holls of Grigs said...

thanks for the update torry! you and your life are awesome.

 
At 10:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me just say that I am glad to hear about someone Christian!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home