eXTReMe Tracker
Help, I am stuck in a bad 80s movie: what do you do?

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

what do you do?

So...I decided to not teach at UT this semester. Fully selfemployed.
So now, when people ask, as they do way too often, "What do you do?,"
I no longer have the short answer "Teach math at UT." But who am I
kidding? When have I ever been satisfied with a short answer? I have
really come to grips with the fact that I will never ever use my
masters degree, especially the material I slaved over to get it.

But my decision was quick and painless. I had the first thoughts of
quitting on the Saturday before classes started while sitting for
hours with a friend in the emergency room. Got to actually be the
friend carrying someone to the ER for once. I feel I owe that favor
to all of mankind at this point. So...if you're ever sick or have an
emergency, call me up. I have a debt to pay. But sitting there with
time to think, I thought, What if I didn't teach this semester? And
before I knew it, less than 24 hours later, I had an email in to my
boss and I was not teaching. That's how I do it. One gift God has
given me is that if He nudges me in a direction, I really am ok just
doing it. No use in worrying forever and coming to the same
conclusion.

I had to hit the ground running after the break. Webb, where I do all
of my tutoring, does their semester exams after the break. So, I
entered in the busiest time of the year. Tutored 50 students in one
week, which translates to over 70 hours of actual work. But this
week, I settle into a routine. Got several people interested in
working with me and now looking for students for them.

1 Comments:

At 12:44 PM , Blogger MLS said...

Man...to think of all of the stuff you owe me!! I could go on and on! Sad news is, I am not in Knoxville to accept your kindnesses.
Maybe in Nashville I can come up with something.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home